Thursday, August 29, 2013

What Did You Do This Summer?

 

The typical question that most people get when going "back to school" is, "What did you do this summer?"  Instead of writing an essay...here is my Top 5 US History related Summer List.

5. I read several books...mainly focusing on American Imperialism.

 
4. I visited every Civil War monument in North Dakota...there are only 4!
 
Civil War Monument-Devils Lake, ND 



 3. I explored my German-Russian roots (and cemeteries) in western North Dakota.
 
 German-Russian Wrought Iron Cross
 
2. I visited the Ronald Reagan Minuteman Missile National Historic Site near Cooperstown, North Dakota...here is a photo of Oscar-Zero Missile Alert Facility.
 
Oscar-Zero 
 
And a photo (50 feet underground) of the Launch Control Center.
 



1. I found one of my 4th great-grandmothers (she lived from 1814-1876) near Nerstrand, Minnesota...her headstone was buried (no pun intended) under about 6 inches of sod and dirt!
 


 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment