Thursday, July 10, 2014

Dr. Irene Dobbs Jackson: The Card Catalog


As a boy and into adulthood, the Library Card Catalog (now made obsolete by Online Public Access Catalogs) was one of my "favorite friends" in the summer...or should I say, "I was forced to read books during the summer by my mother!"  In my mind, reading during the summer was drudgery and punishment (I would've rather been outside playing baseball than searching the card catalog)...but, 1,400 miles away the card catalog was considered freedom!


On May 22, 1959, Dr. Irene Dobbs Jackson of Atlanta became the first African-American to be issued a library card from the main branch of The Atlanta Public Library system. As time passed, many African-Americans began to check out books and even use the public restroom...

a confused and perturbed librarian called the police with an "urgent" message.

"Why (am I needed)...are they destroying books?"

"No," answered the librarian.

"Are they tearing up the furniture?"

"No."

"Are they disturbing the peace?"

"No."

"Well, what are they doing?"

"They're looking in the card catalog!!!"

"A Proud Mother"

In October of 1973, Maynard Jackson became the first African-American mayor of Atlanta...he is pictured above with his wife (Burnella) and mother (Dr. Irene Dobbs Jackson).

Oh, the lessons that began at the card catalog!

No comments:

Post a Comment