Thursday, October 16, 2014

What did you learn in school today?

 
 
 
 
Probably the most asked question (besides "how are you doing") in America is "What did you learn in school today"...the usual student response..."NOTHING!"  With the popularity of books with titles like "Lies My Teacher Told Me", it is maybe not so surprising that when students say "NOTHING"...it is probably the truth.
 
Tom Paxton and Pete Seeger
Click this link to listen to "What did you learn in school today?"
 

 
Tom Paxton, a famous song writer and folk singer (50+ year career) known for his sometimes serious/ critical thinking lyrics posed this question in the early 1960's...here is his answer.
 
I learned that Washington never told a lie...I learned that soldiers seldom die.
I learned that everybody's free...And that's what the teacher said to me.
 
I learned that policemen are my friends...I learned that justice never ends.
I learned that murderers die for their crimes...Even if we make a mistake sometimes.
 
I learned our government must be strong...It's always right and never wrong.
Our leaders are the finest men...And we elect them again and again.
 
I learned that war is not so bad...I learned of the great ones we have had.
We fought in Germany and in France...And someday I may get my chance!
 
That's what I learned in school today...That's what I learned in school.
 
 
 
 
I truly hope in this age of "boy bands", lyrics that degrade women and glorify drugs, gangs, violence, etc...that my students would be able to "write lyrics" like Tom Paxton for their world in 2014.
 
 
 
 
 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment