Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Sweetness


To attempt to understand/ ponder on this post, you will first have to read this very short short story entitled "Sweetness" by Toni Morrison.

Here is the link...http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/02/09/sweetness-2






Beyond the obvious message on colorism, parenting, etc...I also hear W.E.B. DuBois (double consciousness, the veil, the color line) in this story.


But as I try to grasp at the soul of Morrison's story, I find White America in the first paragraph:


"It's not my fault.  So you can't blame me.  I didn't do it and have no idea how it happened."






Our family didn't own slaves...I didn't kill Emmett Till...I didn't beat Rodney King...I'm not a racist...I'm not responsible for Trayvon Martin, Tamir Rice, Michael Brown, Eric Garner, Sandra Bland, Philando Castile, and the names go on and on and on.


Can we really make any progress in America until we acknowledge the sins of the past and present...the true history of the African Diaspora...discard the controlling messages of those in power...revolutionize the mis-education and indoctrination of our youth...realize that human dignity and freedom is all of our responsibility?









No comments:

Post a Comment