Monday, April 22, 2013

Richie Havens: Rest in Peace

Richie Havens
1941-2013
Today, one of my all time favorite poet-musicians passed away from a sudden heart attack.  Richie Havens was an American poet, folk singer, guitarist, and social activist.  He is best known for his intense, rhythmic style infused with blues, soul, negro spirituals, and Civil Rights/ anti-war/ social activist themes.  Most knew him from his famous opening performance at the 1969 Woodstock Festival.  He made 25 albums...but, in my opinion nothing can top his song entitled "Freedom" based on the Negro Spiritual "Motherless Child".

“I really sing songs that move me, I’m not in show business;
I’m in the communications business. That’s what it’s about for me.”
 
Listen to my favorite Richie Havens riff..."Freedom"
 

No comments:

Post a Comment