Sunday, February 17, 2013

Bangladesh Boat Schools

You've probably heard your parent say something like...
"when I was a kid I used to walk to school 5 miles each way,
in a snowstorm, uphill, both ways...ah the good old days." 
I would laugh at these outlandish exaggerations and than I came across this picture of my mother (when she was 6 years old) getting on a horse drawn "school bus" sled.  They had to use the sled in the winter to take the farm kids to school because the cars were not able to pass through the snow drifts on the impassable North Dakota country roads.  This is a very special picture to me because it shows my German-Russian Great-Grandfather Ed helping my mom on to the "bus".  Notice the smoke stack coming out of the roof of the sled...from the wood burning pot belly stove to help keep the kids warm.  This sled belonged to the town doctor (Doc Lund) and doubled as his "car" to make winter house calls!

My Mom & Great-Grandpa Ed circa 1947

Today...many children in rural areas of Bangladesh do not have access to education. Often, the nearest schools are miles away and are often flooded for 3-4 months of the year.  During the monsoon season many schools find themselves under water. The solution was unusual, but simple and effective: If children can’t go to school, the school would go to them. The "Boat Schools" of Bangladesh have made education accessible to thousands who previously had no hope of a quality education!

Click here to watch a short Youtube about the Boat Schools of Bangladesh
 
"Education is the kindling of a flame..."
                                                                 -Socrates


No comments:

Post a Comment