Friday, February 15, 2013

The Galveston Giant

Who was the most well-known African-American of the early 20th century?  Booker T. Washington...W.E.B. DuBois...Louis Armstrong...Langston Hughes...Ida B. Wells...Mary McLeod Bethune...Bessie Coleman...etc.?  In my opinion none of them can match Jack Johnson...
"I'm black...they never let me forget it.
 I'm black alright...I'll never let them forget it!"
The Heavyweight Champion (1908-1915)...he was the most famous and hated man in the world.  Even the most famous leaders black or white could not claim the attention Jack received. Covered in the news more than all others combined...he was a Public Enemy #1 for some, a super hero for others, loved and hated, feared, misunderstood, and unapologetic for living his life on his own terms.  A household name...he truly was larger than life.  African-Americans celebrated Johnson's victories with shouts of joy, parades, dancing in the streets, prayer meetings, poems, etc.  Not only did he defeat Tommy Burns and James Jeffries, etc...he dealt an early death blow to  a humiliated Eugenic-Jim Crow-Plessy v. Ferguson-Racist America!
"My Lord, What a Morning"
by William Waring Cuney
O my Lord
What a morning,
O my Lord,
What a feeling,
When Jack Johnson
Turned Jim Jeffries'
Snow-white face
to the ceiling.
"I want my coffee strong and black like Jack Johnson
 and my eggs scrambled hard like James Jeffries!"
 

No comments:

Post a Comment